Stomach virus/Food poisoning or viral gastroenteritis
● Food poisoning is an illness caused by eating contaminated food. It's not usually serious
and most people get better within a few days without treatment. In most cases of food
poisoning, the food is contaminated by bacteria, such as salmonella or Escherichia coli
(E. coli), or a virus, such as the norovirus.Outbreaks are common.The virus spreads very
easily and quickly.
● Norovirus spreads from infected people and contaminated surfaces as well.
Outbreaks can happen anytime, but they occur most often from November to April.
● Viral gastroenteritis or stomach is an inflammation, swelling, and irritation of the inside
lining of your gastrointestinal tract. It can infect your stomach, small intestine, and large
intestine. Viral gastroenteritis is very common.
The most common symptoms are:
● Stomach pain
● Let your stomach settle. Stop eating solid foods for a few hours.
● Try sucking on ice chips or taking small sips of water often.
● Ease back into eating.
● Avoid certain foods and substances until you feel better.
● Get plenty of rest.
● Try over the counter anti-diarrhea medications.
Pharmacology for nausea ONLY.
● NO ANTIBIOTICS WILL PRESCRIBE (NONE).
Protect yourself and others from norovirus:
● Wash your hands often
● Rinse fruits and vegetables
● Cook shellfish thoroughly
● Stay home when sick and for two days after symptoms stop
● Avoid preparing food for others when sick and for two days after symptoms stop